March 1, 2007

A Diatribe against Needless Repetition

As of late, I have had an open mind (or at least a mind slightly more open) regarding contemporary Christian music. A few people have met my silence during the services in church with the concern that part of me is shut off to the worship experience, and I have thus tried to approach choruses with a different attitude.

This morning I awoke with the realization that embracing these choruses is akin to being served nothing but rice day in day out. Although your stomach is full, your soul breaks down from the lack of any real nourishment. When you protest, those around you--gaunt themselves--insist that you are receiving ample nutrition and that the hunger pangs that will not abate are simply the result of a spirit that is not in the 'right place.'

I cannot understand why this spirituality is so often selected in place of Christianity's rich heritage. But I am understanding, now, that for the sake of my soul, I cannot sit at a table where artistic integrity is not held in any regard.

1 comment:

chris said...

That last paragraph is great. It's so true and needs to be heard loud and clear over and over. We live in a very hungry society.

chris